Monday 23 September 2013

All in the Mind by Jenny Twist



When Tilly Thompson wakes up in a strange bed and a strange room, she soon learns that she has been part of an experiment for Alzheimer’s disease.  After she had been suffering from the disease her husband of over fifty years, Johnny had been taking care of her, but when he himself becomes ill after having a stroke. They both end up in hospital were Tilly is awoken by them taking her back in time to the 1940’s by staff dressing in the clothes and the building been set up like it is from this era.

Tilly can remember up to the point before she gets Alzheimer’s and she makes a full recovery. Tilly wonders if the experiment can help Johnny recover from his stroke. So an experiment is set up to place them  back in the cottage they lived in when they were first married and it is fitted and furnished with everything that they would have had in the 1940’s, taking them back to their younger days in more ways than one.

This is just one of those amazing reads. I just could not put this thoroughly well written story down and I ended up reading this book in one sitting. It is just a wonderful and original storyline, with interesting and likeable characters. This is a book really worth reading and if I could give it a higher score than five I would. I very much look forward to reading more books by author Jenny Twist.

Jenny Twist left school at fifteen and went to work in an asbestos factory. After working in various jobs, including bacon-packer and an escapologist assistant, she returned to full-time education and did a BA in history at Manchester and post-graduate studies at Oxford. In 2001 she and her husband moved to Southern Spain where they live with their rather eccentric dog and cat.

To buy this book from Amazon UK click here http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1612354955

To buy this book from Amazon US click here http://amzn.com/1612354955



4 comments:

  1. Thank you, Nikki. I am so delighted with this wonderful review. You have made me very happy.
    If you do Facebook, I'd love to meet you on my author page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jenny-Twist-Author/291166404240446

    Love
    Jenny
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What an amazing read Jenny and a fantastic book. I just could not put it down. This is a book not to be missed :) xx

      Delete
  2. Hi Nikki
    I just noticed you don't want people to copy your reviews without permission. Would you mind if I posted it on my website and used the odd phrase for tweeting, etc?
    You could give me written permission by emailing me on casahoya@gmail.com
    I would, of course, give you full credit and put in a link to your website.
    Love
    Jenny
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem Jenny you can do that. That is just to protect my work as I have had people stealing my reviews and putting their names on them! So you share away :)

    ReplyDelete