Saturday 10 September 2011

Gulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift


I would like to include in my reviews some of the classics.  I thought I might re read some of them and see what I think of them as a woman now in her thirties. I first remember reading Gulliver’s Travels around thirty years ago aged around eight. We read it at school, all the class together in the classroom and I know some of the other children use to hate and dread the moment the teacher would pick on them to read out loud to the class, but I was always hoping to be picked because I loved reading out loud and been able to express by the tone of my voice all the different characters.

To be honest I did not remember much about the many places Gulliver travels to or ends up in on in his voyages to sea, mainly memory has been over taken by the many films that are out. I have yet to see the most recent starring Jack Black. Most of us remember Lilliput and know that part of the story really well and the scene that comes to mind is Gulliver lying tied down and held by the little people who are no more than six inches high. We also remember Brobdingnang the land of the giant people. But there is far more than that to this story which I had completely forgotten about. Gulliver travels to several more remote islands Laputa, Balnibarbi, Luggnagg, Glubbdubdrib and Houynhnms where he meets some more interesting beings and characters and has lots of adventures. 

For me personally Lilliput is still my favourite part of the book and the part I find the most interesting. It makes you think that Gulliver must have really enjoyed travelling because he ends up in these situations and then gets back home safely but then still returns to sea!


No comments:

Post a Comment