Thursday 22 October 2015

Meet the Author – Sue Fortin

I was recently lucky enough to be able to give up my day job to fulfil my ambition of writing full-time. My husband has been really supportive and, it’s fair to say, that without him, this just wouldn’t be possible.

So, how was I going to fill my days as a writer? Cue rose coloured specs as I imagine myself with my own office, maybe even a summer house, typing away, only interrupted by telephone calls from my editor in London, long lunches discussing book signings, both London and New York, guest appearances on Richard & Judy’s Book Club, champagne swigging literary events and calling everyone ‘Darling’.

Yeah, well, as it turns out, it’s not quite like that.

I try to remember two pieces of advice. One from Nora Roberts about sitting down to write and getting on with it; the books aren’t going to write themselves. The other from J K Rowling, to guard your writing days. Don’t be tempted to accept invitations to coffee and shopping trips. Your writing days are precious and should be kept that way.

Of course, it’s easier said than done but I’m working on it and try to be at my desk by 9.30 every morning, attacking my To Do List.  I tend to break up the spells of writing with household chores that need doing, such as, washing, cleaning, tidying, shopping, cooking – all the usual stuff that, if I were at work, would have to wait until the evening.

If I’m working on promotional pieces or plotting, it’s easier to fit everything in as there are more opportunities to take a break but if I’m right in the midst of my work in progress, it’s harder, especially if it’s going well.

So, how does my day run as a full-time writer – definitely a lot busier than when I had a day job but I’m certainly not complaining as I thoroughly enjoy every minute of it.

Author Bio

Published by Harper Collins' imprint Harper Impulse, Sue Fortin writes romance, mystery and suspense.

Her originally self-published debut novel was awarded the INDIE Brag Medallion and later when published by HarperImpulse was short-listed for the Joan Hessayon Award (2014). Sue was also short-listed for the Festival of Romance, New Talent Award (2013). Her second novel, Closing In, reached number one in the Romantic Suspense Kobo chart at the end of 2014. Sue blogs regularly with the on-line writing group The Romaniacs (www.theromaniacs.co.uk) and in 2014 they released a charity anthology 'Romaniac Shorts'.

Lover of cake, Dragonflies and France. Hater of calories, maths and snakes. Sue was born in Hertfordshire but had a nomadic childhood, moving often with her family, before eventually settling in West Sussex.

Sue is married with four children, all of whom patiently give her time to write but, when not behind the keyboard, she likes to spend her time with them, enjoying both the coast and the South Downs, between which they are nestled.
You can catch up with Sue at

The French Retreat Blurb

With Christmas on the horizon, losing her job and her home wasn’t on Marcie Grainger’s wish list. In a bid to reassess her life, she heads off to the only place she has ever felt truly content - her brother’s farmhouse retreat in rural France.

Marcie isn’t the only one looking to escape. Ex-soldier Will hopes the gentle pace of French life will banish the ghosts of his past and offer him the fresh start he desires.

However, all is not what it seems at The Retreat. Fuelled by local rumours and strange happenings, Will and Marcie are pushed together as they try to discover who or what is behind it all. In so doing, they end up finding more than they bargained for.
The French Retreat is a story of human compassion, hope and love.



No comments:

Post a Comment